Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Slav Clarification, More Dubrovnik & Zagreb

My good friend Ron, who knows much about many things, including Russia, Slavs and European history, left a comment that I'll reproduce here. In my last post, I'd been blathering on about northern and southern Slavs as if I knew something about the subject. (Thank you, Ron, for educating me.)
Russians btw are Eastern Slavs, with the Belorussians and Ukrainians while the Poles, Czechs, Slovaks are Western Slavs.
Here are a few more Dubrovnik pics. Also, here are some pictures of Zagreb, which I'll admit that I knew zero about, but figured it would be very communist looking. We spent just 1/2 a day there, between a flight from Dubrovnik and a train to Ljubljana (of which, more soon.) What I, unfortunately, do not have pictures of are the wonderful fruit & veg market in Zagreb in a central square and the lanes and lanes filled with outside tables of coffee shops.

A view from the walls of Dubrovnik to a fortress protecting the western approach.

A view of Dubrovnik's harbor from the walls.


A famous Zagreb church with (questionable) roof tiles from the 1890s depicting the crest of the city.

The Zagreb cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment