Saturday, September 22, 2007

Cooking for One

I recently picked up a book called, "Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant: Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone." There's great freedom in cooking for yourself - you have no one to please, you don't have to sit at the table, use a fork or turn on the stove.

When I'm alone I eat one of the following:
  • Pasta, with a sauce made from what's in the cupboard or freezer
  • Bread and cheese
  • A huge pan of roasted asparagus
One time I had some hard boiled eggs on hand, so I spent the entire evening making empanadas to use them up. (I'm sure there's an easier way.)

So, what do you eat/cook when no one else is looking?

2 comments:

  1. Chickpeas. They're the perfect food. Open a can, rinse them well and either eat them plain or add some olive oil and a nice rice or balsamic vinegar and some Garli Garni (www.garlicfestival.com). Or sometimes, when i'm feeling crazy, i'll get some tahini and fresh garlic and lemons and make up a big batch of hummus. Love the chickpea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Great idea. I never think of chick peas, though I do love hummus. I'll expand my culinary horizons through the garbanzo.

    ReplyDelete