Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Taste of Summer

I can't wait until the farmers' markets open every summer so that I can make Gazpacho. It tastes like summer to me, and for a few months in the spring, I start yearning for it. The key, of course, it home-grown, yummy, tasty, ripe tomatoes. (I woke up this morning with a hankering for it and was so happy to find half a pitcher of it left over from yesterday.) You are sure to get your entire day's quota of vegetables, fiber, vitamins, etc.

5-6 luscious tomatoes (red is the standard, but try orange or yellow for beautiful variety)
1 small onion
2-3 cloves garlic (even garlic lovers should not go over-board; raw garlic is awfully powerful)
1/2 cucumber
1 sweet red bell pepper
4-5 good pinches of salt
1 handful of bread crumbs (plain is best, and this is optional)
1/4 cup of vinegar (not balsamic, but plain old wine vinegar or cider vinegar, whatever is around)

Chop everything coarsely, throw it in a blender, blend. I like it pretty smooth, but you can leave it a bit chunkier if you like. Don't be afraid to add a little water if it needs it. Chill, or if you don't have time for that, throw a few ice cubes in before you blend. Pour it into glasses, bowls, or drink straight from the blender, like I do. Garnish with a few reserved minced veggies, if you like. It's even better after a few hours, or the next day, when the flavors have had a chance to marry.

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH... My mom adds some avocado to hers and it adds a cool, creamy element.
    I have a tomato plant growing on my deck. I'll refer back to this as soon as the tomatoes bloom! I wish summer would never end.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh perfect! My tomato plants seem to be extra productive this year and your recipe is right on time! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete